Suggest your idea ...

E without cygwin!

cygwin is great but It's a bit slow on windows, and feels like an uninvited guest in this environment. it would be great to have E editor working directly with windows shell. if ruby, python or any other scripting languages are needed they could be installed directly on windows.
I know, technically, this might not be possible due to E architecture but if you are also pissed off with cygwin part of E you can show it by voting for this feature request!

112 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AlexbAlexb shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  charlesroperAdmincharlesroper (Admin, E Text Editor) responded  · 

Update: http://e-texteditor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=13090#13090

When you say you would like “E without Cygwin”, do you mean you would like the option to remove Cygwin and/or prevent it from installing entirely, thus accepting the fact that most, if not all, of the Bundle Commands will cease to work? Or do you mean you would like all of the Bundle Commands that are provided with E to work in Windows Native mode, thus completely negating the need for Cygwin?

Given that most, if not all, of the Bundles are a product of the Textmate community, rather than the TextMate developer, I think it is unrealistic to expect the one and only E developer, i.e., Alexander, to port them all. Additionally, who would then port any subsequent updates to the TextMate bundles? Really, it should be up to the E community to port any Bundles it feels could benefit from being “Windows Native”.

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...