Suggest your idea ...

Clutterfree, zoomable history panel for undos/redos

The current implemenation of redo is pretty unusable most of the time, since the nodetree grows rampant fast.

I'm not even sure, if I really understood how it actually works. So, please... don't make me think about it, when redoing actions. ;)

6 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    webpurism shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Admincharlesroper (Admin, E Text Editor) responded  · 

Understood. I can get confusing at times. Once you really do understand how it works, though, it’s invaluable. It’s worth learning it. Try leaving the panel open docked to the side of the windows and play around with it to see how it grows and branches. This is how I learnt to deal with it.

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please do not change this! The undo history is one the the most valuable features of e. Just spend five minutes playing around with it, and it will become invaluable to your coding process. Combine that with something like ditto (http://ditto-cp.sourceforge.net) and you're sitting pretty.

• Admincharlesroper (Admin, E Text Editor) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here's a tip: if you just want to mimic 'normal' undo/redo functionality using the undo history pane, simply look for the longest branch and only use the nodes found there. So, for example, I hit Ctrl-Y and Undo History appears; I look for the longest brance and follow the nodes down that in order to redo my most recent changes.

• LeChuck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a new user (Windows version) in trial mode, and long time user of Textmate on the Mac, I don't understand that re-do thing. I find it a huge pain and would prefer a redo that works as it does in any other program I've ever used, at least an option to disable that multi-branch thing.

Feedback and Knowledge Base